ASIN in BarCode field, a problem for the logic of informations

Oct 19, 2011 at 11:52 AM

Hi !

When importing data from Amazon, we get the ASIN code in the Barcode field. It's a problem because ASIN and Barcode are not at all the same information. ASIN is of course a good information to have in the database... but on the cover of the movie the information is really (and always) the barcode, not the ASIN. And when it occurs at an importation from Amazon website... we have no more field to manually (or automatically from the same or another site) input the barcode... though it's always the most important information ! That's a real problem. There should be a distinct field for the ASIN, different from the Barcode field, so that we could have both, the Barcode in its field and the ASIN in its field. Can you implement this in a next new release ? Thanks !

Coordinator
Oct 20, 2011 at 9:35 AM

Hello BlackWinny,

First thanks a lot for your review.

There is no real value for Barcode on Amazon, that's why i use ASIN instead. But may be it will be better to use EAN:

Definition on both from amazon :

ASIN

A positive integer distributed by Amazon that uniquely identifies an item. ASIN of the new release, item, or similar item

EAN

European Article Number, which is a number that uniquely identifies an item.

What do you think ?

If you think Ean is better i can fix it tomorow.

Regards

Jeff

Coordinator
Oct 23, 2011 at 8:50 AM

Issue is fixed in version 1.5.1.0.

Oct 23, 2011 at 2:17 PM
Edited Oct 23, 2011 at 2:18 PM

Hello Jeff

Thanks a lot for your prompt answer. For the last two days I was not able to answer your question, because I was not at home.

Hum... I haven't found the release 1.5.1.0 in the Download page... The release available is still 1.5.0.0

Surely an oversight...

EAN (and UPC and ISBN,, anyway... the barcode) is really better, yes. Really, really, really. To tell the truth, in fact... it's the essential criteria to search a reference of media without any confusion between several (or even many !) items having the same title.

I'll explain why in another note. And I'll explain why ASIN is useless in the recording of informations for a personal collection of media (CD, DVD, book, etc.), even when using Amazon.

A question : could it be possible to search on the websites using the barcode as criteria ? I think it may be easy to improve in the code... Actually (release 1.5.0.0) the button stays unable when searching by a barcode. Yet even Amazon permits the search by barcode, you can ensure it going to http://www.amazon.com/ and typing for example 0794017308494 in the field (it's the barcode of the DVD "Kojiki", from Kitaro, in its release June 16, 2009). As you can see, this short example shows the right item. If I had several releases of this title (published at different dates with different bonus, for example), the one I get by this way (the barcode) is the right one, precisely without any confusion. All the medias you look for by Amazon are indexed by their barcode, like in all other commercial websites (even priceminister and all other websites and everywhere in the world). Because concerning media supports (music, movies, and books) it's the real universal criteria available worldwide and for everyone inside and outside Amazon.

In the meanwhile, you upload the 1.5.1.0 release ? I'll be glad to download and use it !

Kind regard,

Jacques

Coordinator
Oct 24, 2011 at 12:27 PM

I don't publish 1.5.1.0 but i publish 1.5.3.0 :) http://mycollections.codeplex.com/releases/view/75614

I will fix search by Barcode for version 1.6.

I will let you know here when it's fixed.

Best regards

Jeff

Oct 24, 2011 at 12:38 PM

Hello Jeff !

Thank you !

Minutes ago I downloaded 1.5.3.0 just after your notification of its publication.

Very good job !

I've noticed several errors in the localization in french language. Do you want me to tell you some of the little corrections that could be done to the translation in french ?

Kind regards !

Jacques

Coordinator
Oct 24, 2011 at 12:41 PM

Thanks.

And yes any help in translations are more than welcome (even if i'm French my english is better than my french.....).

Cordialement :)

Jeff

Oct 24, 2011 at 1:30 PM

Ha ha ha !

Ca veut dire que depuis quelques jours on échange en anglais entre français ?

Ok, to send you some suggestions of proofreading about the french localization, do I use your gmail address (seen on the menu "? / about" of the tool)... or do I open a new public discussion on the website ? I'll do the way you prefer...

Cordialement !

Jacques

Coordinator
Oct 24, 2011 at 1:48 PM

Yes please use mycollections.team@gmail.com :)

Coordinator
Oct 25, 2011 at 3:11 PM

Just for information i just finished the search by Barcode. A new beta version will be available with it by the end of the week.

Coordinator
Oct 31, 2011 at 2:37 PM

Version with barcode functionality is available here : http://mycollections.codeplex.com/releases/view/75614